Don’t Cry! It’s Back!
Season 5 of True Blood starts on June 10. To celebrate lets make cookies! I will be posting some How-to’s to help get your fangs out.
Blood Splatter Cookies
If I had to name one image dominate to True Blood it would definitely be blood splatters and drips.
- 1 Recipe Red Velvet Sugar, I used a recipe from I am Baker
- 1 Recipe Royal Icing
- 3.25 round cutter
- Small Heart Cutter
- Red Gel Food Coloring ( I used Wilton Red-red)
Bake and let your cookies cool.
Make 1 recipe royal icing.
Since I was making a few different types of decorated cookies out of this one batch, I didn’t want to outline and then fill all of them. You can create a base layer of Royal icing with out outling if you use a slightly thicker consistency and spoon the icing on to the cookie and spread. The icing should be thick enough not to run of the side of the cookie but thin enough so that when you spread and gentle shake the cookie it levels out.
- Start with 2 cups of thick white icing
- Add 1 teaspoon vodka
- Add ½ teaspoon water
- Continue to add water a few drops at a time until the desired consistency is reached
- Using a shallow spoon, spoon icing onto cookie pushing the icing towards the edges (I use baby and toddler spoons for this)
- Spread icing as evenly as possible with spoon quickly
- Gently shake or tap the cookie to further even out the icing
- Let stand for 10-15 minute or until icing has started to harden
To make “blood” splatters
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons water and ¼ teaspoon red gel food coloring
- Mix until all food coloring has dissolved
- Using a spoon, drip food coloring over cookies to create a splattered effect
- Let dry over night