Here is a really simple solution to cut-out cookies if you don’t have or can’t find the proper cutter. I made these for some Game of Thrones cookies. I wanted to put the different House’s sigils from the books by George R R Martin and show on to banners and shields, similar to what a knight might carry. Of course I didn’t have any cutters to fit what I wanted, I did a quick search for images on Google for shields and free handed the banner.
What you need:
- Thin cardboard (I used soda box, it was thin and easy to cut)
- printed out images* (you can free hand your shape or print an image from your computer)
Super Simple Steps
- Print your image and trace or freehand shape onto cardboard
- cut your shape from cardboard
- roll out your chilled cookie dough onto a floured surface
- place cardboard cut-out onto cookie dough and run a sharp knife through the dough
- place cookie on parchment covered cookie sheet and bake
- Cold Cookie dough: You’ll be handling the dough more using this method if it becomes tacky throw it back in the fridge for a little while.
- A little extra flour: Use flour liberally since you’ll be holding the stencil on the cookie dough its more likely to stick to the surface